Nowadays farmers are giving more preference to grow crops like pulses, oilseeds, fiber etc.; so there is less scope of the increasing area under sugarcane. Therefore the only alternative is to increase the sugarcane production by effective agronomic practice Intercropping is a year old practice of growing two or more crops simultaneously on the same piece of land.
There are many benefits of intercropping
• Reduction in the application of fertilizers.
• Helpful to suppress the weeds by growing intercrop with the main crop.
• Increase the optimum utilization of natural resources.
• Reduction in susceptibility to insects and disease.
Sugarcane is a long duration crop which needs about 12 to 13 months from transplanting to harvest. It requires spacing of 75 to 150 cm. It gets nutrient’s from the deep layers of the soil and allows the intercrop to get the nutrients from the top layers of the soil. We can grow some intercrops to utilize the spacing of sugarcane. Moong acts as the best intercrop with sugarcane.
Benefits of Moong crop.
• Moong is a quick crop
• It takes only 80 days from planting to harvest the crop.
• Helpful to control the grass weeds.
• Sugarcane yield increased by 3.30% to 7.66% under rational mung bean cropping.
• Sugarcane quality increases due to green manure dressing.